Office : CNES 107
B.S. (ChE) Institute of Chemical Technology (2010)
Ph.D. Auburn University (2015)
-Development and optimization of pilot scale simulated moving bed chromatography (SMB) systems for the separation of petrochemicals products.
-Design and scale up of high pressure and high temperature systems.
-Characterization and synthesis of nanoporous materials for applications like catalysis.
Dr. Sankar Nair
Previous Research Experience
Research Assistant, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, (2010-2015)
· Developed a novel process and scalable apparatus to deposit nanoparticles on oxidic materials using GXLs to generate supported composite Fischer-Tropsch catalysts.
· Developed magnetically-responsive and non-toxic dispersant systems for dispersing crude oil in water in collaboration with various researchers.
· Improved the efficiency of the gas expanded liquid (GXL) fractionation process by achieving a six-fold reduction in operating pressures.
· Optimized the size-selective separation of iron-oxide nanoparticles in GXLs to achieve monodisperse nanoparticle fractions.
Technical Intern, Atul India Limited, Atul, GJ, India (2009)
· Involved in daily plant operations and plant control at the company’s phosgene manufacture and 2,4-dichlorophenol (2,4-DCP) distillation plants in the Crop Protection Division.
· Outstanding International Graduate Student in the Department of Chemical Engineering.
· Outstanding Graduate Student Leadership Award from the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering.
· Outstanding Individual Oral Presentation in Engineering Award at Auburn University Research Week 2014.
· Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) Scholar.
· Finalist for the Fall 2014 3-Minute Thesis competition held by the Auburn University Graduate School.
· Honorable Mention at the Fall 2012 Graduate Engineering Research Showcase.
Patents and Publications
· Pranav S. Vengsarkar, Rui Xu & Christopher B. Roberts, ‘Deposition of iron oxide nanoparticles onto an oxidic support using a gas-expanded liquid process to generate a Fischer-Tropsch catalyst’, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Article ASAP, 2015
· Pranav S. Vengsarkar, Rui Xu & Christopher B. Roberts, ‘Scalable fractionation of iron oxide nanoparticles using a CO2 gas-expanded liquid system’, J. Nanoparticle Res. 2015, 17, 387
· Rui Xu, Pranav S. Vengsarkar & Christopher B. Roberts, ‘Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis over Supported Nano-Iron Catalysts Synthesized by Gas-Expanded Liquid Deposition Technique’, Proceedings of the 24th North American Catalysis Society Conference (NAM), Pittsburgh, PA, 2015
· Pranav S. Vengsarkar & Christopher B. Roberts, ‘Solid-stabilized emulsion formation using stearoyl lactylate coated iron oxide nanoparticles’, J. Nanoparticle Res. 2014, 16, 2627
· Pranav S. Vengsarkar & Christopher B. Roberts, ‘Effect of Ligand and Solvent Structure on Size-Selective Nanoparticle Dispersability and Fractionation in Gas-Expanded Liquid (GXL) Systems’, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2013 117 (27), 14362-14373
· Vengsarkar, P. S., Boice, J. N., Roberts, C. B.; ‘Tunable Steric Stabilization Effects on Size-Selective Nanoparticle Dispersability in Gas Expanded Liquid Systems’, Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids (ISSF), San Francisco, CA, 2012
· Boice, J. N., Vengsarkar, P. S., Roberts, C. B.; ‘Nanoparticle Dispersability in a DMSO/CO2-Gas Expanded Liquid System’, Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids (ISSF), San Francisco, CA, 2012